Raging Thunder, Australia’s premier adventure tour company since 1984, operates a diverse range of tourist adventure activities including ballooning, sea kayaking and white water rafting.
This is a real opportunity for exciting employment in the Adventure Tourism industry and training is provided under programs established by the highest professional standards.
Specifically we are offering training in white water rafting which is an adrenaline, thrill seeking adventure sport that we are passionate about! We want to pass that passion on to you but there is more to white water rafting than meets the eye.
Our rafting guides understand the dynamic challenges that mother nature presents on the river each day and safety is always paramount. Our guides are trained to the highest standard to ensure our passengers have the experience of a life time and live to tell the tale – or upload the video to YouTube!
If you choose to be a professional guide with Raging Thunder you will learn to read the river, navigate the rapids and have an excellent understanding of water safety.
This is a dynamic, intensive and challenging course that will be suited to participants who are:
- Physically fit
- Confident swimmers (able to swim 200 metres non stop)
- Over 18 years of age
- Have good conversational English
- Are able to converse and build relationships with a diverse range of people
What is covered in the course?
6-week intensive River Guide training course (6 days per week) located in Tully, Far North Queensland with training provided on the Tully River.
Topics covered at this stage include:
- Reading white water (hydrology)
- White water rescue
- Raft handling
- Senior first aid
- Rope work
- River fitness
- Raft repair
- Team work / leadership /decision making /situational awareness
What is the course length?
- 6 weeks intensive training in Tully – accommodation and food is supplied at this stage of the course
- Up to 8 weeks (approximately) commercial guide training – this section is competency based, accommodation will be provided at this stage of the course. Commitment of 5/6 days per week required, average time taken to gain employment is 4/5 weeks
- 9 months practical experience as a trainee river guide – at this stage of the course you will be rostered as a commercial river guide and become a paid employee of Raging Thunder
What qualification will I hold at the end of the course?
- Raging Thunder White Water Rafting Certificate
- Swift Water Rescue (International Qualification)
- Senior First Aid
As part of your course you may be eligible to complete an industry related accredited certificate. Should you be interested in this option please advise us immediately and we will put you in contact with the Registered Training Organisation we are working with.
What are the costs involved?
- The course cost is $1500 (Financial assistance may be available to trainees through the Registered Training Organisation, please contact us for more details on this option)
- Personal protective equipment including helmet, rescue lifejacket etc. approx. $600 will be required during commercial guide training
- Food and accommodation will be provided by Raging Thunder for the first six weeks of the Training Course. Accommodation only will be provided in Tully during the time it takes participants to gain commercial guide certification.
What is the selection process?
- Applications close 28th February, 2016
- One on one interviews will be conducted early March
Candidates who are not based in Cairns region may be interviewed via Skype
- Short listed candidates will be required to attend a 2-day selection boot camp on 27th and 28th April, 2016
Candidates will be advised at the end of the boot camp if they have been accepted into the program
- River Guide Course Starts on the 2nd May, 2016
What should I include in my application?
- An up to date resume
- A cover letter introducing yourself and explaining why you should be selected for the traineeship program which will lead to a job opportunity with Raging Thunder
- Participants will be required to fill out a medical form on application.
- Previous white water experience
- Great customer service skills
- 2nd language skills e.g. Mandarin/Cantonese
- Good understanding of modern technology
- Good knowledge of OH&S issues
- Assistance to put your application together and prepare for the interview may be available, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Applications should be sent to email@example.com by 28 February, 2016